still life nr1

still life nr1

Tuesday 8 November 2011

predominantly shape, form and colour

I got my tutor report and feedback on assignment 4.  This time I have more things to work on so I will start from looking on suggested artists. Unfortunately I can use only secondary sources like images from the internet, as I do not have opportunity go to the galleries where they are on display.


Milton Avery 1885-1965

Three friends 1944


Seated figure




What strikes me that in his work is the way how Milton operates with colour and big bold shapes.  He feels the space with only few colours but extremely well chosen.  Deformed bodies of his models make his paintings more interesting.  Many times his models do not have their faces or hands do not have fingers.  Perspective looks like is wrong but it works well with deformation of model's bodies.  Paint is transparent on many of his paintings so that we can see a brush marks and sometimes a clean canvas.

In my next project, I will try to play with bold big shapes and single colours like Milton did.


Mali Morris is my next artist.


flotilla 2007

http://www.royalacademy.org.uk/academicians/painters/mali-morris-ra,1227,AR.html








Mali Morris is an abstract artist who expresses her art thought the vibrant colours and quick movement of brush or any tool that she uses.  Morris' art looks untidy but when I spend more time looking at her work I become more familiar with this style.  I am starting to like it and finding something peculiar and interesting.

It works well as a composition and many times it is a geometrically order.  Some times the painting is crowded but sometimes it is spacious.  Mali uses large individual units to cover the space. The lines are sometimes curved and sometimes angular.  A big contrast has been created by using different colours; the dark background will meet the light colours.


http://www.malimorris.co.uk/

In my next few projects I will definitely use her expressive line with contrastive colours


Helen Frankenthaler


http://www.ernst-haas.com/celebrity_frankenthalerHelen1.html

 There is a short movie about Helen on youtube and worth to watch :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoaxUcwp3s









I am glad to say that I liked this artist from the first moment, her sensibility got to me straight.  I didn't have to think about it, I just knew I liked it
Helen's art reminds me some sort of Japanese art in how she operates with the line and colour.
Definitely, I will use this artist as my future inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. The Frankenthaler video has been removed from You Tube.

    ReplyDelete