still life nr1

still life nr1

Friday 18 November 2011

CHAPTER 10 -Project 2

Project 2 : A Landscape

This is a great feeling, sitting on my small stool in front of my portable easel and thinking about colours and natural light.

I was walking around the area that I live and trying to find the best place to paint.  This is my last decision and here I would like to start my painting.



              
I took a big canvas ( 100 x 50 cm  ) and started from covering white space with light brown acrylic paint.  I covered with the light green paint the parts where the fields and the trees were.

                                           




At this stage, I started to paint clear blue sky with blue acrylic paint than adding some lighter to build some depth.  I used flat wide ¾ brush and wide round ¾ one for this task.

Everything looks well so far.  The composition is getting more interesting at this point.  I think this is because I use my brush to express big variety of lines on the ground.  This is still only a work in process so I do not know how it is going to look when I finish.  I like the exposure of texture but it is still only a sketch.



  I finished my first outdoor session and I would like to come back tomorrow.

 Second outdoor session
                        


Now I managed to calm the lines down and concentrate on adding some green colour on the field. I left only a few brown parts to show the difference between the ground and the grass.  There is a nice small part of light green paint but only where the sun was shining the most.

I put some more blue paint and made a difference between the sky and clouds.  I also have different colours on the trees as at this time of the year the greens become somewhere brown and yellow.


                                  
Now when I manage to finish my painting I may say gladly that I enjoyed my first proper outdoor painting.
I decided to paint in a very quiet place far away from a crowd.  I did not feel comfortable to paint between a large numbers of people. However, my biggest enemy were flies flying above my white canvas.  They were very stubborn and did not want to leave me at all.

I can see the difference in colours that I used to paint this work.  I used less dark tones as the light was everywhere.  The composition is open and simple.  The painting is very spacious and there are few repeating shapes.  The painting has many individual units like small trees.  The lines are sometimes angular and sometimes curved.
Colours are very bright and the colour palette is wide from warm yellow trees to cold green field.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment