still life nr1

still life nr1

Tuesday 8 November 2011

CHAPTER 9 : Project 1

Project 1 : Associations

In this project, I would like to touch a very important person in my life as my Nan was to me.  I decided to use this task as some sort of personal therapy.  My Nan is no longer with us and therefore a decision that I have made was very personal.  I did not want to create another meaningless painting in my portfolio but to do something to express my emotion.


Stage 1 : A Starting Point
                                          


I took few objects related with my Nan.  Her life was around family and food therefore I have some kitchen equipment.  My Nan gave me the book about J.P.II and the small blue scarf.  I put the fork and knife as a symbol of food but I created a cross to show that she is no longer with us.

                                                 
Stage 2 : A Different Approach to Painting
                                             
I took the cross as my subject for this stage.


The black background works well with the fairy cross.  My fingers were my tool for this task and I have to say I felt a big connection with my work.  I could paint more freely as there was no space between my fingers and the black paper .
I do not think that this works.  It is too obvious and too visible.



The more I look at this exercise the more I like this painting.  Why do I like it?  There is a big contrast between bold yellow background and blue sharp items.  Therefore, I created a contrast between colours and shapes.  I used my fingers to paint this stage.
Now I know that this is my final decision about colours for my painting.
                          
Stage 3 : Painting



I took four canvas-textured papers for artists, with dimensions of 51x 41 cm and put them all together to make one big paper space 100 x 80 cm.  With my experience from previous stage, I was happy to use different source of media and tool.  I cover white space of paper with a thin blue acrylic paint by using only a canvas cloth. When the paper was dry, I took a small sponge and started to paint the main shapes of my composition.





 Now some parts of this painting are starting to work together.  I am happy with the primary stage, the colours of cross are ok but would like to make it more fiery to express it with more meaning. I do not want to change the blue texture as it works well and gives such a nice calm feeling.  I would like to keep the calm blue colour and the green bottom part and build the sky and grass.


                                   



I put more details on the book just enough to note that this is a religious book.  The black part makes it more mystical and gives a bit deeper meaning to it. To make my composition more fun I put a tape measure as my Nan was working as a dressmaker in the past.

  
                                 
 


Taking some valuable comments from my previous assignment, I am wondering should I stop my work as it is.  Should I carry on?  I do not want to overwork it.  I would like to keep as fresh as it is.

I put small dots of white paint with my fingers to make the scarf more nature.  However, I like it as it gives some stars effect.  I try not to use the brush only to paint small details on the book cover and to paint the numbers on the tape measure.



I will come back to my work in a few days time and make the decision should I leave as it is?
  
                                                      
Stage 4 : What have you Achieved?

No comments:

Post a Comment