still life nr1

still life nr1

Sunday 17 April 2011

Project 3: Composition in practice

Project 3: Composition in practice

Stage 1 - using preliminary studies

The medium I used for this task was charcoal on A3 paper. 

My sketch number one is based on the description where composition has two or more horizontal or vertical lines cutting across the whole painting.

The two vertical lines which are the edges of the vase are running up the painting.  I can see many more than two vertical lines on this picture, like flower stems or a big shadow line on the left side of the page, although the two lines of the vase are the strongest ones.



The sketch number two on A3 paper shows a composition with a large single ‘empty’ area (a big box) contrasted with smaller complex areas (a lemon).  One third of the painting surface should be a simple area like a table top, a large section of floor etc.  I decided to make my composition as simple as I could.  I put a lemon on the big box and placed that in front of the window.  I placed the lemon more on the right side of the picture so it does not have to drag the eye in the middle of the page.


No comments:

Post a Comment