still life nr1

still life nr1

Monday 4 April 2011

Chapter 6: Composition


Chapter 6: Composition
Project 1: The dynamics of the rectangle
Stage 2 – Black & White
     



rectangle1



1 – Rectangle one is one of the biggest on the A3 sheet.  Inside of it are small dots, filling up the space.  The composition in that one has been designed to draw attention to the top left corner.  I have done this by playing with the spaces between the dots to create movement in the rectangle.
         
rectangle 2


2 – Rectangle number two is divided with lines in a vertical way.  I placed my first line just about in the middle of the rectangle and then added some lines on the opposite sides.  I hope I achieved the visual balance and there is a three-dimensional effect.



rectangle 3

3 – Rectangle three with the straight lines that run vertically across from one side to another.  The space between each one is filled with small curves, which give a well balanced effect.  I think I have achieved this visual ‘trick’ as it looks like a curved piece of corrugated cardboard.


rectangle 4

4 – Rectangle four: there are lines across from left to right and the gaps between them are filled with curves.  Some curves are painted with black ink, but most of these black parts are not touching each other.  The composition is well balanced but not too symmetrical.



square 5

5 – Square five is a compilation of all possibilities from all four previous rectangles.  My lines go from one side to another across the space.  Then we have some curves, big and small.  I decided to paint a few big shapes with black ink, then some small lines and dots to make this square more interesting.  We have a selection of sharp shapes and smooth curves.  This keeps the square dynamic as there is no symmetry.




Overall the A3 sheet looks spacious as I tried not to place any of my rectangles in the middle of it.  The empty space in the middle is planned and the dots in my first rectangle are supposed to draw the eye to them.  None of my five rectangles are touching each other.  In my opinion this is a composition starting from the top left corner then going down to the bottom left part and then following the black triangle sections of square five up continuously to the top-right part.  Another movement is from the top right going down until rectangle two and finally right off the page.



No comments:

Post a Comment