still life nr1

still life nr1

Sunday 24 October 2010

I was trying to find the best point in my room to make the right sketch, after a few changes I think I found the one I like.  I decided to take the one where I was looking at my composition from above that gives a nice and interesting angle.
I was ready to make a final selection for development, confident of my choice.  I couldn’t wait to make a painting as I knew that then I would have more space on A2 format. As much as I liked charcoal and the way I could smudge it, at the same time I found it very difficult to make a good drawing on A4 paper.

PROJECT 2: From Drawing to Painting”
Stage 1:  Painting With a Limited Palette
At this stage, I used a limited range of colours, black, white, and yellow ochre.  For the last few years, I followed the Impressionism rules of choice of colours, where greys and dark tones are produced by mixing complementary colours.  In pure Impressionism the use of black paint is avoided. I was terrified before I started this project, I thought it would be more difficult for me to break my main rule. When I was making the outlines of the main shapes of the objects with a small brush and black paint I got goose pumps on my skin.  After a while I got to used to that pure black and to my surprise I found it quite interesting. I began to paint the shapes between objects revealing the negative shapes.


Stage 2: Developing the Painting
Now when I have my positive shapes so visible white I started to paint each of them with an individual single colour and tone.
Stage 3: Considering the Design
I decided to chose the part of my painting where I saw different directions in my composition, more interesting for an observer. Where a shoe is pointing right, scissors are placed in the bottom-right corner and the left- bottom space is filled with a small glass and long sculpting knife.  I like the empty space between the scissors and shoe where the eye can catch a breath.



Stage 4: What Have I Achieved?
When I asked myself were there any better viewpoint than the one I chose, sadly I have to say that the space in my art studio is limited therefore my painting could be made only from a few angles. At the same time I am happy with my choice.
Did I choose the best drawing to develop?  Yes, in my opinion I did. I like this composition as much as I like the way I draw the line and the way I smudged places which should be smooth.
Did I use only four tones in my charcoal drawing? I tried to stick to only four but have I achieved that?  I hope I did.  I have pure white, then darker and more darker tone with big contrast of black.
Would I change any of the tones in my drawings if I started again? Definitely I would like to change the round bottle in my drawing number 4 as is too dark.


No comments:

Post a Comment